Recipe of The Month | Chicken Caeser Salad
PREP – 25 MINS
COOK – 25 MINS
For the chicken
- 1½ tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves, plus a few sprigs
- 1 garlic clove, bashed to bruise
- 4 organic/free-range skinless boneless chicken breast fillets, about 140g/5oz each
For the croutons
- 100g rustic granary bread
- 2 tbsp olive oil
For the dressing and salad
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp lemon juice, plus extra for squeezing
- good pinch chilli flakes
- 4 anchovies
- fillets, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp good-quality mayonnaise
- 4 tbsp fat-free yogurt
- 1 head romaine or Cos lettuce
- 100g bag rocket or watercress
- 25g piece parmesan shaved with a potato peeler
Start off by mixing the lemon juice, oil, thyme and garlic in a dish for the chicken marinade. Add the chicken to this mix and coat it well. Season this with black pepper and leave to sit for 2 hours.
Preheat the oven to 200 degrees. Cut the bread into large cubes to have as croutons. Spread them out on a baking sheet and then brush with 2 tbsp of oil. Bake these for around 10 minutes – or until they are golden and crisp!
In the meantime, put the garlic, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, chilli and anchovies into a mini blender and blend until smooth. Add the mayonnaise and yoghurt then blend again.
Heat up a pan until very hot and lay the chicken down on the skin side. Cook for 15 minutes, turning a few times, until cooked thoroughly. Then allow the chicken to sit for 5 minutes before slicing.
Tear the lettuce leaves into equal sizes and mix with the rocket and watercress in a large bowl. Throw in the croutons, chicken and parmesan and drizzle the rest of the dressing over the entire salad. Finish with a squeeze of lemon.
Simple and delicious!